Saturday, January 07, 2006

King Estate Oregon Pinot Gris 2004

Everything I like in an Oregon Pinot Gris and very little of what I despise in your run of the mill Pinot Grigio. This tricky grape is normally my least favorite varietal, typified by sugar water blandness and often yeasty overtones. Many of these Oregon wineries just keep producing outstanding Pinot Gris. The King Estate wine is crisp with citrus overtones that would complement almost any dish, but not overpower subtle foods like shellfish. In fact, I believe I had this wine before with Eric Newcomer, Mark Little and Kevin Connor (what, the always opinionated Kevin has no blog?) at Yabbies Coastal Kitchen at one last years WS-CAF F2F meetings. Eric and I split a shell fish basket and the wine was a great pairing. Recommended, from a confirmed Pinot Grigio hater. And another reason I like Oregon so much.

No comments: